The SRG SSR invites journalists, media producers, editors, designers, developers and engineers to imagine and develop the TV and radio of the future under the theme “Media and artificial intelligence”. The goal is to develop and prototype new ideas and products in areas such as:
- Journalism formats and tools
- Collaborative media
- User interfaces and mobile applications
- Media indexing, archiving and retrieval
- Offline and online media analytics
- Personalization and recommendation
This event will take place simultaneously in Geneva and Zurich offices on March 1st and 2nd 2018.
If you are a journalist, a media producer, an editor, a designer, a software engineer, or an artificial intelligence expert (including data science, machine learning, computer vision, virtual reality or neuroscience) with a passion for traditional and new media, then this event is for you!
Besides the richness of collaborating with people coming from various backgrounds, this is a unique opportunity to interact with field experts in public media and to contribute to innovation efforts of the SSR to develop the TV and radio of the future.
Thursday March 1st 2018
- 8.30h: Reception to participants / Coffee-croissants
- 10h: Opening Key Note / Pitch of ideas by participants (with discussion of the skills required to form teams)
- 12h: Lunch offered to participants
- 18h30: Aperitive / Dinner/ Networking
- After 18h30: Work possible
- Possibility to stay overnight
Friday March 2nd 2018:
- 8h: Coffee-croissants
- 12h: Lunch
- 14h: Team presentations / Pitches (alternating between Genève and Zurich). 3min for each team
- 16h: Voting the top 3 works between Geneva and Zurich
- Awarding ceremony of the PixelArt Robots to the top 3 works
- Closing aperitive
- What is a hackathon ?
A hackathon is a short event in which a group of people, typically from different backgrounds, work together to prototype new digital applications in a collaborative manner.
- Who can participate ?
This event is opened to people inside and outside the SRG SSR (including people from the industry and academia).
- Can I participate if I have no idea for a project ?
Yes, everyone is welcomed to the Hackdays, whether you bring a an idea for a project that you wish to develop, or you are simply curious or motivated to explore together the theme “media and artificial intelligence”. Those wishing to present a project idea will be able to present their idea beforehand in an online platform that we will set up few days before the event.
- How are teams created ?
Teams will be created on Thursday morning after all projects are presented. Each participant will chose its preferred project and teams, and teams will be created to be as multidisciplinaire as possible.
- How much does it cost ?
The participation to the HackDays is free and opened to everyone.
- What are the tools and data made available to participants ?
Apart from Wi-Fi, participants will be provided with structured data, data APIs, and documented content tools.
- Is there any prize for the winner ?
There won’t be any prize at the end of the HackDays except for a pixel-art cup that will rewarded to the best teams, and the pixelized photo of the winners that will be displayed in the teletext. The main goal of this event is to foster the collective intelligence of experts from different backgrounds. We consider that the best reward for participants is that these collaborations lead to viable projects and eventually business creation.
- Who owns the results of the work ? What is the follow up on the projects ?
The projects developed during the HackDays are owned by the team members that have developed them. Depending on the interest arisen by participants and collaborators, the work carried out during these two days may continue beyond the HackDays within or without the involvement of SSR SRG. See conditions of participation here. [ put link ]
- What should I bring ?
Every participant should bring the tools and material that estimates necessary for its activities: computer, mobile devices, software etc.
- What happened at previous Hackdays ?
Watch the video of the past edition here
- Where do I need to go ?
If you choose to participate in Zurich, the location of the event will be the studio 2 of SRF Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen, Fernsehstrasse 1-4, 8052 Zürich. In Geneva, the event will take place at is RTS Radio Télévision Suisse Quai Ernest-Ansermet 20, 1211 Geneva.
- How can I subscribe ?
- Are any food or accommodation provided ?
We provide free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In addition, if necessary, there is also the possibility to stay overnight in the same place of the event. Please contact the organization for details.
Do you have any questions? Send us your question by e-mail to hackdays (at) srgssr. ch
We look forward to seeing you!g